Monday, January 16, 2012

Huevos Rancheros

Pretty much ever since this post and seeing the old lady name Wava, I have been thinking about making huevos rancheros. I read through a few recipes and finally decided to wing it this morning since Anna and I had the day off. I was so delighted by the outcome that I had to share. (And it was so nice to have something different.)

So here's what we did.

Totally Gringo Huevos Rancheros
  1. Sauteed one chopped clove of garlic in a little butter, added a can of black beans that had been rinsed and maybe 1/3 c. chicken broth and let it heat through.
  2. Fried two eggs.
  3. Made a quesadilla with monterey jack cheese.
  4. When the quesadilla was perfectly done, I cut it in half and topped each with some black beans, an egg, some salsa, chopped cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Anyway, I thought it was delish. It was so fresh tasting and a nice flavor break from our regular breakfast foods.

Kid reaction: I wasn't sure what Anna would think about this. She's a pretty adventurous eater, but I know she doesn't love salsa, and black beans are sort of a maybe. So I gave her a quesadilla with some beans on the side and the egg. Strangely (or I guess probably not surprisingly—she is still a kid), she was sort of bothered that the quesadilla was made with "white" cheese instead of her regular cheddar, so she didn't love it plain. But I convinced her to try a bite with salsa and beans and cilantro and lime, and she LOVED it! It was the combination that really did it. She ate the rest and loved picking out each ingredient and making perfect bites, and she was thrilled about squeezing on more lime juice when she felt like it.

1 comment:

  1. sounds delicioso.

    anyone who likes lime is a-ok with me.

    and anything that reminds me of village inn is a-ok with me.

    ReplyDelete