Friday, September 16, 2011

Even more old lady names

I've got quite a list going for the Old Lady Name Game. (Remember the original and the update?) Well, here are some more.

These were presented to me all in one day:

Nelva
Phyllis
LouJean
Eunice

Out of that lineup, I chose LouJean. By far. Even though there's mid-name capitalization. I've made my feelings known about Phyllis and Eunice is a close second, and poor Nelva. No way. So just Lou's not so bad.

Another banner day included:

Re Voe (??? Was this a typo?)
Deloa
Delora
Wava

I think I picked Deloa because Delora is too close to Dolores, Wava makes me think of huevos rancheros, and I have no words for Re Voe.

And some more since then:

Luene vs. Zelda

I chose Zelda, as I could already come up with a laundry list of nicknames for Latrine Luene who has gangrene . . . And besides, who didn't like this? The game was gold, for heaven's sake.


Another day I had to choose between these two.

Wilma
Iva

These aren't sooooo bad, but "the lesser of two evils" predicament always makes me think really hard. I think I chose Iva. It's close to Ivy, which is cute, and I'd rather not be likened to a Flintstone, which, obviously, is the definition of old. (And we all know Betty was the cuter one.)

Then another day, we found

Zoe Ann

(How do you think you pronounce that? Zo-ann? Zo-ee-ann? Whatever the case, it's a bit awkward.)

and Vilda

Vilda is pretty awful. Maybe even vile. I groaned when I heard it and Anna, wanting to get in on the fun, said, "Okay, would you rather have Vilda or . . . Piddle?"

And frankly, when faced with that alternative, Vilda didn't seem so bad.

As a sidenote, I was reading Anna an Ironman comic book she picked out at the library the other day. (Totally random, but I've got to encourage her well-roundedness, right?) Anyway, one of the characters was named Mavis, which is a pretty old-fashioned name. Not one of the worst, but still pretty dated. Anyway, later Anna said, "What was that girl called? The one with the pretty name?" Talk about paradigm shift. Anna didn't know it was dated, she thought it was pretty. And now I kind of do too.

Your favorite awful ones out of this bunch?

4 comments:

  1. Yeah.

    Plus, LouJean sounds like blue jean which = yes.

    I loved these. Laughed at least 3 times. Mavis is nice. Piddle, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a great grandfather named DeLora. Nice. Yes, grandFATHER.

    And I work with a cute, modern woman named Wilma (what *were* her parents thinking?) and she goes by Willie, which is cute.

    The Mavis thing is interesting. When I named my daughter Jocelyn so many people said, "Wow, what an old-fashioned name." I never have thought if is old-fashioned. Classic, sure. C'mon, the princess in A Knight's Tale was named Jocelyn, so yeah, it's a timeless royal name, but old fashioned? Guess it's my perspective.

    Here are some more:
    Fay
    Eudora
    LaPreal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lara, that made me laugh. Poor DeLora. And I think Jocelyn is classically pretty, too, not old fashioned.

    Also, we saw another one lady today with the name Arda Wilda something or other (for her last name), but she went by Sally. I don't blame her.

    ReplyDelete