Sunday, March 27, 2011

Old Lady Name Game update

I'm trying to not be offensive, but this is kind of the image that comes to mind when I play this game.

So remember the Old Lady Name Game? Well, the fun hasn't stopped (it's always a party, reading the obits), and I have some more names to add to the list:

Unlikeable Old Lady Names
Daleene
Gladys
LaRue
Mildred (I mentioned this before, but I didn't say why it's so bad. If it needs further explanation, a name that sounds like a cross between "mildew" and "dread"? Not pleasant, folks.)
Norma
Alvera (not to be confused with the sunburn remedy)
Beulah
Verna
LuRee
LaWana
Arthella (Trying to feminize Arthur? Please, please don't.)

Pretty darn awful, right? And I think we might have found LaVolda a sister:

(drum roll please)

Ovila (!!!)

I think we can all agree that these names are pretty bad. The difficulty, for me, comes in deciding the lesser of two evils, like when my sister presented me with the choice between Melba or Bernice. What do you do when they're both so bad?

You try it. Which name would you rather have?

1. Beula vs. Verna
2. Mildred vs. Dolores
3. LaVolda vs. Ovila

It's hard, isn't it? Now you know the angst I've been experiencing with this game.

And I know in 80 years, people will probably mock me to my face for having the name Ashley, but until then...

5 comments:

  1. 1) Verna because it's not SO bad. At least it doesn't have any extremely-emphasized syllables or harsh vowel sounds.

    2) Even though Dolores is not as bad as Mildred, I must go with Mildred out of my loyalty for Harry and the gang. Certainly they shunned every Dolores thy met after that fateful 5th year...

    3) Ovila because I would just tell people it's Olivia scrambled and missing the second "i". "It's fine," I'll tell them... "just unscramble it in writing and speech."

    ReplyDelete
  2. (this is Britta)

    1. Verna, definitely. I'd rather be compared to Ferns or a LaVern than a beluga whale.

    2. Dolores. Contrary to MelBroek, I think Harry Potter has made that name cool in an evil way. Plus there are better nick-name options (Lori, Lora, Dol, Res, you know...)

    3. I thought the same thing about number three! It looks like Olivia spelled wrong. Frankly, as is, I wouldn't pick either. I'd rather go by "Hey, You"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could tell people it's pronounced O-Veela, like Veela, which would be cool.

    I like the british pronunciation of Dolores, like Dolo-rez instead of Duh-LOR-us. So if you could force everyone to say it that way, I'm on board.

    Beula?? What on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The silver lining is that you can make a cute nickname out of almost any dreadful name. Mildred is awful, but Millie is darling. Some take more work than others. . . I don't know what to do with LaVolda???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, Mary. Could a nickname be Voldie? Kinda like Goldie? Yeah, I don't know. I guess that's why she's the reigning champ of the old lady name game.

    And Jen, I know! Beulah?! Can you imagine if she married a Buhler?

    ReplyDelete