Monday, January 9, 2012

Old lady name quiz follow-up

I was going to comment on that last post and on your comments, but I realized I had too much to say and so I should just do another post. (Loved all your comments, by the way. They made me laugh, and I love hearing the reasons.)

1. Luva vs. Mirna


I'm pretty sure I said the same thing, Lara: Luva reminds me of "vulva," and that's never good for a name.

2. Medalou vs. Lois


Yes, Medalou is unacceptable, except for maybe as a name of a cow.


3. Choose from this crazy bunch:
    a. Lecta
    b. Wilda
    c. Erma
    d. Zella

I'm pretty sure I picked Zella too. It's pretty cool. Lecta is weird and has a sort of science-y sound to me, and I'm pretty sure that's one of the naming rules, to not name your children after weird science terms (or things that sound like them). Wilda is horrible. Child-Naming Rule #32: Don't name your child anything that might resemble an actual animal. I bet she was called Wilda Beast every day of her life. And Child Naming Rule #47: Don't name your child something that sounds like something negative or gross (in this case, wilting). Adding a feminine "a" to the end does nothing to save it, either. And Erma is bad, and I think this spelling is worse than Irma, for some reason. 



4. Arva vs. Minnie vs. Ida

Agree with most of you: Minnie is cute. Arva, however, is not. This one also breaks Rule #47, as these parents pretty much named their child Larva.



5. Vesta vs. Florene

This one was hard for me. There's no reason behind Vesta, and I'm sure that's breaking Rule #59: Don't name your children after items of clothing. And amen to Jen and Sandra: Florene totally sounds like a chemical. So I don't know what I'd do. Maybe I'd pick Florene and go by Flory or something.



6. LaRue vs. VerlDene

Also terrible choices. Just the fact that it's in another language does not give you the right to name your child something as inane as "TheStreet." (I like that all of these lectures are directed to people who were alive like a hundred years ago. This blog is nothing if not relevant.) And the mom/dad combo of VerlDene is so bad! I really can't decide. Probably LaRue, but it pains me to say it.



7. Alta vs LaVee

Alta. Hands down. It's pretty old, but LaVee is totally ridiculous. It means nothing! It might as well have been La-V. (Actually, that might even make it cooler. Or I guess it could also be seen as an abbreviation for "the lavatory," so who's to say.)



(Also, everyone gets an F on the essay question, except for maybe Christine who touched on it a little.)


Post-Quiz Quiz
In this game that my sister makes me play, I have to pick the lesser of two evils and then she pairs the most evil evils and makes me pick from those. (And the winner of the most awful usually ends up getting paired with Phyllis or LaVolda or Ovila, just to see where it stands.)

So think about these:

1. Luva vs. Medalou

2. Arva vs. Lecta

3. VerlDene vs. LaVolda

4. LaVee vs. LaRue

5. Wilda vs. Phyllis



Makes it harder, right?

4 comments:

  1. Maybe i'm going to change my answer and chose LaVee. Why? Because it's like La Vie. French names = classy, and it sounds nice to have "life" be your name. Plus, Vee or "V" as a nickname would be pretty awesome.


    Other than that, i choose Luva. I just thought of another body part it sounds like! Uvula. And who wouldn't want to be associated with that.

    Also choose Lecta.

    As for Wilda vs. phyllis and VerlDene vs. lavolda-- I can't choose. Don't make me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, the only applicable ones here for me would be 3 and 5. My answers are the same as the last post for the others.

    3. This is torture. I guess if I HAVE to choose I'd take LaVolda. Here's my reasoning. VerlDene sounds like one of the most redneck names I've ever heard. LaVolda, though hideous, has a certain old rich refined widow quality to it. I'd rather be the latter than the former.

    5. Phyllis. I've never liked this name, but it now reminds me of the Prince Caspian movie. When Susan gives a fake name to get a nerdy boy off her back, she chooses Phyllis. Later, when the boy sees her again and calls her Phyllis, he says it with a kind of boyish longing. It makes the name seem young again. just for a moment. and it's not a wildabeast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, Lecta makes me think of lactating for some reason. Rule #52, don't name your child after a socially-taboo bodily function.

    I think it's an old lady thing, not particular to any state. Or if it is geographical, Idaho must be included. Someday our great grandchildren will be gagging at the extremely generational names like McKinze Britney, Zoe, Peyton, Aaliyah, Oalkee (I did not misspell - Joci has a classmate with this name - did they mean Oaklee with the "l" after the "k"? I don't know), Harper, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uvula... lactating... torture... These are some great comments. And some of these same thought processes are what I go through every time I have the pleasure of facing the old lady name challenge. :D Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete