Friday, June 20, 2008

Strawberries and fun in the morning (a.k.a. the lamest title in the world)

It's time for another short post about the wonder that is Anna Summertime (as though I don't write about her ALL the time — I try to spread it out, really I do). Anyway, though there are countless reasons why she's amazing, two specific things are on my mind.

First, Anna has been loving strawberry season in Poland. She can't get enough, and she even does a bang-up job at pronouncing the word. I was in the kitchen the other day fixing lunch and she politely requested a strawberry. I handed her one and then went back to my task. When I looked at her a second later, I saw that she was rubbing the strawberry all over her neck and chest. My first instinct was to tell her to stop, thinking about all the stains I would have to deal with. But then she put both hands over the strawberry and held it to her chest, saying, "Hug." Melt my heart! How could I put a stop to that? It was sweet, but it also made me laugh. At least she knows how to treat something she loves. It also reminded me of this incident from a couple months ago, which never fails to make me laugh.

Secondly, Anna has always been a fan of hide-and-seek- and peek-a-boo-related games. (No more hyphens . . . my pinky finger is worn out.) She loves to cover her face with anything and then quietly say a drawn-out "Annnnna!" so that we know we should start looking for her. Sometimes she'll walk around the apartment with her blanket over her entire head, and all we can hear is a muffled "Annnna . . . Annnna . . ." as she bumps into things, since she can obviously see nothing with a blanket over her eyes.

Anyway, this is what she has been doing for the last little while. The instant I open the door to her room in the morning, I hear her drop to the floor (of her crib) and then scramble to a corner. When I peer over the edge, I see that she has covered her face with her blanket. This is my cue to start searching. Sometimes I'll call out to her in other rooms, sometimes I'll open the closet doors and look for her there, you know, to mix it up a little — I'm a fun mom. But my favorite is when we have a funny little dialogue like this:

Me: "Annnnna! Where are you?"
Anna: Silence.
Me: "Where did you go?" [opening the closet] "Are you in here?"
Anna: Silence.
Me: "Anna? Are you in the other room?"
Anna: "Yes."

5 comments:

  1. This is one of the best posts i've read in my life.

    a. that picture.

    b. hugging the strawberry mess.

    c. "yes."

    d. that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Jen. I think that's maybe the best comment I've ever read in my life. You're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an intelligent and adorable child. I wonder how fast Anna would tire of the game if you always found her immediately. I'm glad you're a fun mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In this picture, she totally looks like you Ah. I mean there is just that sereneness about her that you have. Totally sweet. I miss her. I hate that she is so fun and I'm not there. But thanks for sharing the good times...it's almost as if I am there.

    ReplyDelete