Monday, June 9, 2008

A few thoughts on film and some recommendations

When Trevor decided a few years ago on filmmaking as his career path, he dove head first into it. He read much more than he was assigned to, and he even cut back his class schedule one semester in the early days so that he could learn more about and watch more historical and world cinema — all so that he would be more well read and better prepared for his forthcoming classes. He continues reading about film all the time and watching all that he can, and he soaks in as much information as possible. His passion for it is amazing.

With that said, Trevor's film tastes are quite "academic," for lack of a better word — more so than I'm used to and more so than many of you are used to, I'm guessing. When pressed to watch another silent or slow foreign film, it seems like I'm often defending myself and my tastes, saying, "Hey, I'm not the film student here." Trevor usually prefers "art films" that are challenging and subtly transcendent (if I could be so bold as to categorize his tastes in one fell swoop), which means my untrained mind may find them a bit slow and boring at times. But I have also found that with the more "difficult" films I watch, the more I am able to handle and appreciate.

(As a sidenote, I keep using words like "art" and "difficult" to describe the kind of films I'm talking about, but that's really just a short way of referring to the films off the beaten path and on the other side of the spectrum, those opposite the ones most of us are used to: the mainstream and sometimes mundane, manipulative, or fluffy, if you will.)

So it's been an interesting journey for me as the wife of such a passionate student of film. Because much of our free time together is spent watching movies, I have seen quite a few and we tend to cover a fairly broad range. Along with the silent, black and white, foreign, and art films, we still watch lighter films and a few "mainstream" features as well. But I've probably seen more art films than I EVER thought I would. A few years ago, I don't think I would have enjoyed many of my current favorites, so I know that I've grown some and that my tastes are a bit more refined through such exposure. And I'm glad for it.

It's in this light that I've been thinking about my role in all of this. I've started to fancy myself as somewhat of a bridge between the world of meaningful, artistic cinema and the world of mainstream movies. I've covered some ground and poked into some corners of the world that I otherwise wouldn't have, if not for Trevor, and we've found a few treasures along the way.

Now this may seem pretty arrogant of me, but I see myself in a somewhat unique position, having seen this wide variety of movies yet still keeping one foot in popular culture, so to speak. If you're looking for a film experience that's a little different and/or a little more meaningful but you don't know where to start, read on. I may be able to provide you with a few worthwhile suggestions to fit a variety of tastes and moods. Some are old, some are obscure, and some may be better known than I think and I've just somehow missed them through the course of my movie-watching life.

Silent but sweet. Two silent films worth noting are Sunrise (1927) and The Master of the House (1925). Both are sweet but incredibly well-made films that deal with the topic of marriage. Sunrise, subtitled A Song of Two Humans (isn't that awesome?), tells the story of a farmer who is bewitched by a city woman and convinced to "get rid" of his wife. Make sure you take note of the amazing montage near the end. The Master of the House, a Danish film, centers around a poor family headed by a cranky, demanding father and an overworked but angelic mother. Watching it will make you grateful for the luxuries of butter and sugar and also for your spouse.

Subtle suspense.
I'm really not one for horror movies, but I don't think The Thing (1982) classifies as a typical horror film. Sure it deals with aliens, sure there's death and some 80s mechanical gore, but both its subtlety and simultaneous power to immediately capture your attention make it absolutely stunning. Plus, what part of the alien-assuming-the-shape-of-the-people-it-kills plot doesn't make you want to run out and rent it right now? While it's still a science-fiction masterpiece, The Thing is also a fun, suspenseful film for those that can handle some fake blood.

*** I should note that this movie is rated R. Before you gasp and delete this blog from your links, take a look at an essay Trevor wrote on a friend's blog about R-rated movies and the rating system in general. It thoughtfully discusses the issue and provides some important background information for Mormons especially that all of us should consider. I'm not promoting R-rated movies (besides suggesting that you might like this one here...heh heh), I'm just saying we should be well informed about the media choices we make and that it would be wise to devise a more involved personal rating system of our own. ***

A chick flick like no other.
Boyfriends and Girlfriends (1987) is a French film with a lot of talking, very little action, and a romantic web so tightly woven that you can't help but get caught up in the middle of it. Trevor and I both loved it.

On filmmaking. The 5 Obstructions (2003) is a Danish documentary featuring film writer/director Lars von Trier (Dogville, Dancer in the Dark) and his mentor Jorgen Leth. In the documentary, von Trier challenges Leth to remake a short film Leth made in 1967 called The Perfect Human, but he has him do so five times, assigning him new obstacles to overcome each time. One film is made in Cuba, another in Bombay's red light district. Another is an animation. I didn't know much about Lars von Trier and even less about Jorgen Leth, but I was riveted the entire time. It was an engrossing look at filmmaking, artistry, and the way Lars von Trier can mess with your mind.

2 comments:

  1. One of my friends linked me to your post because she knew my husband (Justin) was an {aspiring} filmmaker. It just so happens that I knew Trevor my freshman year, and Justin and Trevor had a few "run-ins" while still at BYU.

    You must be a nicer wife than me, because I have just stopped watching the movies that I don't want to watch. Netflix is the glue to our marriage, we get two movies at a time, one for me, and one for him. But I do find myself liking more and more of "his" movies. I've become a bit of a documentary junkie. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm sure Justin will be happy to let some of them be my choice so he gets more for his netflix dollar.

    There is word of a wives of film-maker type blog coming up... if you'd like to be included when it launches let me know and I can get you on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment, Brecken. (Sorry, I don't know how to spell your name, but that's what Trevor said it was so I guessed. Unless you'd like me to refer to you only as "Breckster"...which I could do. :D) It's so nice to know that there are people out there who know how I feel.

    Trevor and I do the same thing you do with Netflix with the movies we buy here (they're super cheap in Poland). While he comes home with so many movies I've never heard of, he stills calls me to see if I want things like "Jane Eyre" or "About a Boy" or "The Terminator" (a secret guilty pleasure of mine). It's good of him to do so, because I know he wishes I could handle all art all the time. But it's just not so.

    Anyway, I'm curious about the wives of filmmakers blog. Keep me updated.

    ReplyDelete