Friday, June 17, 2011

Cooking for the weekend

I made this flat bread recently (a recipe I found in Real Simple a while ago), and I have to say it was delish. Very simple, so you know it's the ingredients that make it good and not the cook. I did not serve it with a side of greens, like the recipe says, because that seemed kind of wimpy. Instead, we had a tortellini pasta salad and a broccoli bacon salad, which made for a very summery meal.

About this recipe: I only used one shallot, which seemed like plenty, and you can also make your own pizza dough. Obviously. I did not, however, because I was lazy. I instead used some fresh scone/bread dough from the local grocery store bakery. Also, most people probably already do this, but it's a good idea to remove the thyme leaves from the sprigs because the sprigs get a little twig-like. Maybe mine was just super dry, but I did not want to be eating flat bread with twigs on it, pure and simple.


Sweet Potato and Brie Flat Bread


Ingredients

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 425° F. Shape the dough into a large oval and place on a cornmeal-dusted baking sheet.
  2. In a medium bowl, toss the sweet potato, shallots, thyme, 3 tablespoons of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
  3. Scatter the potato mixture over the dough and top with the Brie. Bake until golden brown and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, remaining tablespoon of oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
  5. Toss the dressing with the greens. Serve with the flat bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment