Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Show and tell

I have very little crafting ability. I do have some, but it's on a very amateur level. I know one crochet stitch and I can sew a straight line on the sewing machine — and that about sums it up.

Not to toot my own horn, however, this post is to show what one can do with this tiny bit of knowledge. Basically, I learned that you can still make cute things even if you think you're pretty unskilled.

So instead of using a bunch of different crochet stitches, I like to focus more on color combinations and decorative elements when I crochet. I've made a few scarves and afghans, but this summer I experimented with a couple baby blankets and things I could add to them. I think they turned out quite well ... for being made by such a novice.





Sure, there are some bumps and lines that are less than straight, but that adds to the handcrafted (or perhaps personalized and awkward) feel, right? Right?

I've basically been crocheting my one stitch for more than a decade (I think I can trace the roots of this knowledge back to a personal progress project or two), but sewing is less familiar to me. But with my mom on metaphorical speed dial, I was able to successfully sew something recognizable:


This one even has darts. Darts!

This blanket was definitely a labor of love. I learned a lot on this one, but at least the scars don't show ... too much.

9 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! I'm totally impressed! (Not that I was surprised or anything...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are WAY cute.

    And for the imperfections? I remember going on a field trip to an American Indian museum as a kid and learning that in their weavings/creations they would purposefully make a mistake in honor of the Great Spirit because only he (or it) was perfect and it was an affront to him (or it) to be perfect as a mortal. Ever since hearing that, I've taken great pride in my imperfections!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all! Are you selling anywhere yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a witness to your hard work and dedication I just want to take this opportunity to congratulate and applaud you. Such a fine job with everything. Now to learn a new crochet stitch...or dare I say knitting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement, guys. And no, I'm not selling them. All of these projects were gifts. Plus, I'd have to charge like $500 a piece to make it worthwhile. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of those but especially the last one.............how did you do that cute little ruffle thing??

    ReplyDelete
  7. excellent work, trashface. I love my blanket. MINE. and don't forget about that scarf you crocheted for me with my NAME on it. hello.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nat: The cute little ruffle was definitely cute, but also a pain in the NECK. I just bought a ready-made ruffle by the yard and sewed it between the brown and the blue strips, but this one was a pain because it was elastic. It made everything all crazy. So a word of caution: Don't use an elastic ruffle. I learned my lesson for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the proud owner of three of those. Thank you for spoiling me.

    ReplyDelete