Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Oh, heavenly day

Today's been good, but yesterday was actually the heavenly day I'm talking about. So I happen to LOVE a good bunch of grapes. (Trevor's parents and grandma have taken this to heart and, for family get-togethers, will buy grapes especially for me. I love them for that, among many other things.) Anyway, since we've been in Poland, I've tried to not let it get me down that the grapes here are not seedless, not that good, and super expensive. I stopped buying them months ago because they got up to about $5 a pound. It just wasn't worth it.

Until yesterday.

I went to the store down the street from our apartment and saw that they had their sales posted up on the window. I glanced at the sign and saw that SEEDLESS grapes were on sale. I bought a big bag for us, because they were very cheap, and they are delicious. It may seem like nothing to you, but the grapes have warmed my heart and they've probably brought a little warmth to the rest of the chilly country, too. The next time you go to your fancy supermarkets, take a minute to appreciate how we often take the word "seedless" for granted and then buy some grapes and write me an email about how much better you feel about yourself and humanity.

3 comments:

  1. Grapes, who knew you could have such a deep thought about grapes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ash, you KNOW i am one to fully and completely understand this and feel for you. So congratulations! That is awesome. I haven't bought grapes in years for the very reasons you mentioned. They are available, just not at my grocery store here.. so i'm just lazy. But still.

    p.s. how did you know the sign said 'seedless'??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. Grapes are a wonder.

    By the way, I was at Tesco, a chain of British grocery stores. Some of their signs and products are in English, which is handy. Otherwise I would have had to pull out my handy pocket dictionary for that one.

    ReplyDelete