Monday, February 4, 2008

Getting to know Lodz

I have taken a few pictures as we've been about the city and thought it might be fun for you to see more about where we live. But first a few stats:
  • Lodz (again, pronounced like WOODGE, as in "to woo" and the -dge ending of "judge") is Poland's second largest city with a population of 767,000.
  • The city is located basically in the center of the country, and it's about a 90-minute train ride from Warsaw.
  • At more than 5 km in length, the famous Piotrkowska Street is the longest commercial street in the world.
  • Apparently Max Factor, of cosmetics fame, lives here. Who knew?
  • I just found out that we live in the part of the city known as the Jewish ghetto. Awesome. It sounds worse than it is, but that's interesting, huh?
The Alexander Nevsky Orthodox Church

This is a church we pass on our way to Manufactura, the big mall near where we live. It also looks really cool at night because of its lights, but I don't have a picture of that.

I don't exactly remember why I took this picture, but at least it gives you a taste of what the rest of the buildings look like that aren't churches.

This is at a small park near the train station on Christmas day. We were waiting here for our bus when Anna decided to have a standoff with the pigeons.

The standoff.

7 comments:

  1. Ash, I must confess that I check out your blog every once in awhile to get an update on your Poland adventures! I love it. Your little girl is adorable! Anywho, great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Michelle. I'm totally a silent stalker on your blog, too. I'll have to start leaving more comments so people don't think I'm so shifty. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a stalker too, but i announce it loud and clear by being a comment nazi. Ash, great pics, ESPECIALLY the last two... with anna and trevor and the pigeons. They're beautiful, actually. Love the contrast of the white and gray and then the smidge of color with the pink coat and hat and the wisp of green grass. They'are awesome. I will show sean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thanks Jen. I like the last two as well. The frost added a surreal feel to everything. It was SUCH a cold day and our bus took forever to come, so we nearly froze to death on Christmas, but I'm glad I snapped these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just discovered your blog link on Liz Allen's! How fun to check up on your cute family! What an adventure. Kendra was 15 months old when we moved to Germany for two years (Gwen was born there). I'm totally relating to learning the language but avoiding using it. My sage advice: use it!! People are helpful and appreciate your efforts. Aren't babies a great way to break the ice? Your pictures are great. I was loving the video, too. I'm thinking the Jewish Ghetto may be a carry-over from it actually being an enforced ghetto during WWII. I'll have to google the history of "Woodge".
    Love from Cedar Hills, S. Brodine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, how kind of you to stop by and comment. I know. I need to be better about using my limited Polish. I'm great at saying "How much does this cost?" and "excuse me" and "thank you," so maybe that will count for something. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm still having a hard time accepting that polish is a real language...

    ReplyDelete