Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Dreams

I am not known for having fantastically magical dreams. They — the ones I remember, anyway — are most often pretty straightforward and sometimes even mundane, like something that would normally happen in my life anyway.

We used to joke about this when I was young because my sister, who is much more creative than I am, always had really cool dreams, like about magic water that would make fruit grow ten times its size, or something. We compared this to one dream I distinctly remember, which was all about how I was upset that this sister ate the rest of my toast without my permission.

Really? Toast? There's almost nothing more unexciting than toast.

But lately it seems like I have had more than my fair share of interesting ones (especially given my lame-dream history). They were mostly just kind of quirky and silly, and while I know no one really likes to hear about other people's dreams, I like to tell myself that these might be somewhat of an exception.

1. One Sunday night, I dreamed that I had to do singing time in Primary at a park, and I was having such a hard time wrangling all the kids. I had this wagonful of weird visual aids and I kept freaking out, saying, "It's just not going to be fun enough!"


Can you guess what my calling is? I loved the irony of the fact that I had the dream the night after church and not the night before.

2. I also dreamed that I had a pet tiger (named Raja, I'm embarrassed to admit), but it was so cool! It was so big and soft, and it would give me high fives. I remember that I sometimes had to be stern with it and give it occasional warnings, "Raja . . . ", but mostly it was a good tiger. Maybe I was still harboring feelings about tigers back from when I read Life of Pi?

3. In another, I dreamed that I had a friend in the cupcake business and she was having me taste some of her cupcakes. She told me that the secret ingredient in her frosting was egg nog. I remember thinking about this as I woke up, wondering if, though I don't like drinking the stuff, egg nog would make good frosting. Maybe I'm on to something?

4. Another night I dreamed that I had to play the violin in church, and I decided to wear these gray pants made out of really loud parachute material. While I was getting ready, I realized that they would be way too loud and I should probably change. Then I was fixing my hair and putting green salad in it. Yes, you read that right. I had a hairful of lettuce, cheese, and I distinctly remember sprinkling tomatoes on my head. I pretty much had a salad wig. What the WHAT?

So, anyone wanna to tell me what any of them mean?

Which one would make the best book?

1 comment: