Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Highlights

by Anna

Someone once asked me what my favorite holiday was and, after much deliberation, I chose Christmas. It may seem like a given, but you know how much I like my birthday. :D I remember explaining that it was a month-long celebration of my favorite things: good food, spending time with my family, giving to others, fun traditions, and honoring the one who made it all possible.

So we've been having a great month filled with multiple advent calendars, cookies and candy, paper chains, crafts, holiday movies, Christmas stories, carols, and reading the Christmas story. I had good intentions about a lot of things and haven't exactly been able to do them all, but whatever. We've had a good time. Here are a few of my favorite parts thus far:

  • I purchased one of these advent calendars a while ago (although the Christmas story version—I don't know why they didn't have a picture of it, as we don't feel that strongly about The Nutcracker) and have been enjoying our morning ritual as we read part of the Christmas story each day. Each little book is an ornament that Anna and I hang on a little Christmas tree in my room. This one sticks to the book pretty closely, but it must be the New International Version or something because they seem to have named the wise men. That was a bit weird. And I don't remember reading anything about Mary and Joseph stopping for the night at an oasis.
  • I've tried a variety of things to teach Anna about the importance of being selfless and giving to others, but here was my favorite event. Back on Halloween, a neighbor boy came trick or treating and nearly grabbed a peanut butter cup but pulled his hand back and said, "No, I don't want one of those because my mom will take it and eat it. They're her favorite." We laughed about this, and then I mentioned it to his mom later that night when we were out trick or treating. She laughed and admitted that peanut butter cups were her favorite. Anyway, I didn't even know Anna was listening to any of this, but as we were doing some shopping a few days ago (nearly two months later), she saw some peanut butter cups and asked if we could buy them so she could give them to this woman for Christmas. I said of course. I am happy to support that kind of thinking. So we bought a pack of two, and then Anna wrapped it and tied it with ribbon all on her own and delivered it a few days ago. It was simple, but I absolutely loved that it was Anna's own idea and that it was something she was excited to do for someone else.
  • My sister sponsored a cousins trip to the movies for her nieces and nephews. Anna and I went along to see The Muppets. (Pretty great movie, by the way. Anna loved it, but I think a lot of the jokes were intended for an older crowd.) A highlight of the movie was getting to see Chris Cooper rap. (What in the world?) A lowlight (or highlight, however you want to look at it) was having to define and then demonstrate what rapping was to Anna on the way home. She was not impressed. In fact, I think her words were, "Stop that. I hate it." Poor sport.
  • Anna begging me to and then watching the She-Ra and He-Man Christmas special.
  • In one of Anna's prayers, she talked about how she has learned that it's more important to give than to receive (a small success this month) but that she's glad we still get to celebrate and she hopes they get to have a little party in heaven too.
And it's nice knowing that the fun's not over yet. I want to wish a merry Christmas to all of you. I hope it's filled with all of your favorite things.

1 comment:

  1. She-ra/he-man christmas special--HA. Makes sense. They so rarely get to see one another... Christmas is a time for family.

    ReplyDelete