Thursday, October 6, 2011

It's been one of those days.

First, Anna woke up super early and decided to come tell me about how she hurt her shoulder. I'll be honest and say that I didn't care too much, that early in the morning, but I did make some sympathetic noises and hug her—and then I went back to sleep while she played next to me with her toy horse, Vanilla.

Then, as she was getting dressed, I had to step in with some weather-appropriate suggestions for her outfit, since it decided to be cold all of the sudden. She ended up wearing a rainbow t-shirt, a blue skirt, gray patterned leggings, and hot pink boots. And it was the kind of day where she was not open to any fashion advice and insisted on tucking in her t-shirt into her skirt, leggings, AND underwear so that the sparkly star on her skirt would be visible. I tried to be okay with it. I didn't have time to not be, I guess.

It's also been the kind of day where I had to be to an appointment and was a little stressed because I was running a little behind. And it was raining. (That's a given, on days like this.) And then someone rear-ended me at a stop sign . . . and it turned out to be my neighbor . . . who is getting married today. She was very apologetic but very flustered. I surveyed the scene quickly and, since it looked like the worst damage was done to both of our paint jobs, I told her we'd worry about it later. But there went my hairdo, since I had to put on my hood whilst out doing damage control in the rain.

It was also one of those days where your windshield wipers are being temperamental, especially the intermittent one, so you have to keep them on even though the drizzle turns to a spattering and then to nothing at all. But those wipers are staying on because you never know when you're going to get the much-needed intermittent one on again ever. Yep, that was me.

And then the rain stopped and the sun seemed to shine (although metaphorically, because it was still pretty cloudy and gray here).

I browsed through a store on my way home, only to try on a pair of pants, decide to buy them, and then find out that they were $14.99. Yes, please. And then I bought a new purse because, let's face it: when there is more duct tape inside your purse than the original stitching, it's time for a new one. And this was also cheaper than I thought. Yes, again. The shopping planets had indeed aligned.

When I got home, I took Anna to her school's book fair (I always love a good excuse to buy books), and then we sat down to watch some looney tunes together, only to have me fall dead asleep from 5 to 6:00. I couldn't have asked for a better present.

Then, during dinner, I heard Anna utter these words, "Mom, is there anymore squash? That was de-lish!" And then we finished off the meal with a few of these.

So it was the good and the bad, the happy and sad, all rolled into one today. It was exciting but exhausting—one of those days.

1 comment:

  1. I kind of hate those days. Sometimes i am just a middle ground kind of gal.

    ReplyDelete