Saturday, January 22, 2011

Tomato Quiche of Deliciousness

Before I share this new favorite recipe, I want to tell you how this post came about. I decided to post this recipe for Tomato Quiche that I got from a friend of a friend years ago because I recently made it for the first time and it was just so darn tasty. So I googled "tomato quiche" to find a good picture, naturally, since I can't take one of my own. I looked over maybe 100 pictures to find one that looked like the one I made (I couldn't, in good conscience, post a picture of quiche with bacon or asparagus when that's not in the recipe, right?). When I clicked on the picture I wanted, it took me to the Taste of Home site and the very same recipe! Whoa. How's that for coincidence. Or, if you like, an e-miracle.

Anyway, I like to share the joy when I find a recipe that is super tasty and rather easy, so here it is. Make it today. Maybe even right now.


Ingredients

  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped and drained
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, divided
  • 1 unbaked pastry shell (10 inches)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1-1/2 cups cream *

 

Directions

  • Step 1: Have your mom, the resident Queen of Pie Crusts, make you a crust. I make a passable pie crust myself, but with the queen in such close proximity, why settle for passable? In case you don't have access to a Queen of Pie Crusts, make your own.
  • In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and thyme. Cook over medium-high heat until liquid is almost evaporated, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
  • Sprinkle 1 cup cheese into bottom of pie shell. Cover with tomato mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
  • In a small bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Stir in cream; mix well. Pour into pie shell.
  • Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake 40 minutes longer or until top begins to brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.

* UPDATE: The recipe I had said to use cream instead of half and half, like the Taste of Home website said. I say go all the way.

Next time around, I might double the tomato layer because it was so delish, but it's still super good as is, if you're a strict recipe follower. I also attempted to make mini quiches out of this recipe for a Christmas party, but take it from me: this recipe was not intended for mini quiches. It's too hard to do layers in cups that small, and I was this close [    ] to taking the mini muffin pan and hurling it out the window with my quiche-filling-covered hands that were apparently the size of a giant's.

No comments:

Post a Comment