Wednesday, May 14, 2008

De-lish

When I was at the age when you're probably too old to go trick-or-treating but you go anyway to score as much candy as you can, I dressed up as Mrs. Claus. I thought this was especially clever, because what's more un-Halloween and more unexpected than something relating to Christmas? I tied my hair in a bun and wore my mom's Christmas goose apron over a red dress, but no one really got my costume. My friends called me Betty Crocker the whole night and, much to my dismay, the nickname stuck for a while.

All of this is to say that, while I don't want to give you the impression that I'm old and boring, I do like to cook. And I especially like to bake. In celebration of spring, I thought I would post one of my favorite recipes for the best Strawberry Shortcake ever. Make this recipe. You won't be sorry.

The Perfect Strawberry Shortcake
makes 8 servings

Shortcake Biscuits
2 1/2 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. plus 1 T. sugar
1/2 c. cold butter, cut up
1 large egg, separated
1 c. buttermilk

Sugared Strawberries
2 1/2 pounds strawberries (8 cups)
2 T. sugar

Whipped Cream
1 c. heavy or whipping cream
2 T. sugar
1 t. vanilla

Preheat oven to 425 F. Shortcakes: In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1/3 c. sugar. Cut in butter. With fork, beat egg yolk with buttermilk; stir into flour mixture just until dough leaves side of bowl. On floured surface, with floured hands, knead dough 6-8 times to combine; pat to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut out shortcakes; place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Press trimmings together; cut to make 8 biscuits in all. With fork, beat egg white; brush on shortcakes. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack.

Sugared strawberries: Hull strawberries, then slice. In large bowl, stir strawberries, sugar, and 1 T water. Let stand 15 minutes or refrigerate up to 4 hours.

Whipped Cream: In medium bowl, beat cream, sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form.

Split each shortcake. Layer berries and cream over shortcake bottoms, replace tops, and then dollop with cream and berries.

A few notes: The shortcakes are the most delicious part of the whole thing. I could eat all 8 of them plain, as soon as they're out of the oven. Also, another way to prepare the strawberries is to slice 3/4 of the berries, puree the rest in the blender with a little sugar, and then combine to make a strawberry sauce. I like either way. I also think I've left the vanilla out of the whipped cream before and it tastes fine without it. Whatever suits your fancy.

1 comment: