Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Weirdersons

Awkward Family Photos is one of the greatest inventions.
When you moved out and went to college or when you got married and came face to face with someone else's family habits and traditions, were you ever surprised to find that what was totally normal your whole life was weird to someone else? And the other way around? There are a lot of weirdnesses the other way around, let me tell you.

I've been thinking about a few lately. For one thing, I had some friends who thought my family's taste for the chocolate banana combination was totally weird. (Come on! A chocolate banana shake = heaven.) I thought others were weird for putting peanut butter on their pancakes or eating ketchup sandwiches (bread and ketchup = vomit). One of my friends always eats cooked green beans with her hands. Apparently that's just how they did it in her family. When my family gets a variety of donuts, we cut them into halves or fourths or whatever size we want so we can taste all of them, instead of being relegated to one solitary flavor. But some balk at this. We also mercilessly teased my sister in-law for peeling the whole banana before she ate it. It just seemed so wrong, since the peel was the perfect way to keep the banana slime contained while you enjoyed the fruit. (I do have to admit, though, that I sometimes find myself doing the same thing these days. Sometimes I just want to peel the thing and get it over with so I don't have to peel then eat then peel then eat, and so on. Don't judge. I'm going to in this post, but still don't.)

Another area to consider is sleeping. I know one family where all the kids fall asleep wherever they are late at night, in whatever they're wearing, and they're usually piled all around each other until morning. Not only does this sound incredibly bizarre to me, it also makes me feel claustrophobic. I'll hug you all you want in the daytime, but I need my space when I sleep. And I don't need anyone's knees in my back. I should school them in Ross Gellar's Hug & Roll technique.

And cleaning. I think lots of people have different cleaning practices. I know someone whose mother religiously washed everyone's sheets once a week. Now you might rightfully call me Dust Mite Ashley after I tell you this, but I'm pretty sure we called it good if the sheets got washed once a month-ish. (Or maybe that's just when I started to do my own laundry . . . wouldn't want to make my mom look bad.)

Anyway, what about you? What eye-opening experiences have you had about how other people live? Or was there ever a time where you realized you were the weird one?

13 comments:

  1. I've been told that we are weird for at least three things: 1) loving fried chicken and bananas (just try it!) 2) putting everything in the disposal (well, that's what it's for) and 3) buying all the various paper goods: toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, napkins (as opposed to using just a multi-funtional roll of TP for everything - which I think is weird!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blowing your nose with toilet paper is the WORST for raw noses. I totally support your buying of all the paper goods, Christine. They are designed differently for a reason.

    Growing up my mom was a dedicated menu planner. She would plan each meal, including side dishes and snacks, then write it up on a weekly calendar so the kids could reference it when we wanted to eat. I always thought this was the norm. I do something similar now and have gotten really weird comments about it, even from my siblings!

    One of the weirdest things to me when I got married was how my MIL stored her produce. She would take everything out of the plastic bags or packaging and put it naked in the produce drawer. Is that just weird to me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. See? I love these! People are weird! We all are, in some way or another.

    And yes, Christine, using TP for everything is SUPER weird. I haven't been able to get over it ever since I saw your comment.

    And Britta, I've seen produce stored like that too. I only have a problem with it if onions and peppers are near the fruit. Don't mix fruits and veggies, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I am weird because I like vegetables on my burgers. Normal things like pickles and tomatoes and lettuce. My in-laws eat them plain. Once my mother-in-law even said, "A tomato for the princess." It gave me a complex. I was a snob for wanting a slice of tomato on my burger!

    My sister-in-law is living with me right now and she only does the dishes once a day at the end of the day. I prefer to rinse and load as I go. It hardly takes any time at all and the counter is tidy. So it boggles me that she lets three meals pile and then spend the better part of an hour at the end of the day doing dishes with soggy, rotty food.

    At my sister's house a couple weeks ago, they grilled up a bunch of different kinds of steaks. My sister made a comment that she didn't like ribeye and I said I like ribeye so I would take that one. Nope - that's not how it was done. It was like the donut thing in your family. They cut up all the steaks and we all just shared. It was especially weird to me because growing up in my family (and therefore my sister's family) we specified how we wanted our steaks cooked. In this scenario everything was cooked well done and we all shared meat and it was super weird. I don't know what happened to my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah. what do you call the things that go in windows? curtains? blinds? Whatever. my parents called them luvers. Don't ask why, I don't know. I think it was a brand of blinds back in the day. Everyone thought we were crazy.

    Also, I wash the sink with cleanser before I do dishes. that way, the sink is clean and ready to go. My mom does this. One of the biggest marital fights was about washing the sink before doing dishes. Just something I do. Got to get rid of all the gross stuff (i.e. chicken juice, veggie juice, dirt from your hands) before loading the sink up with things to clean!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew a family once who claimed to enjoy cinnamon rolls with bologna. Can you imagine?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lara, I'm still laughing about your hamburger complex. I'm with you. And the steak thing? Super weird. Everyone should get their own because everyone likes different kinds and likes them cooked differently. Donuts are more universal, I'd say, and we should all want to try as many flavors as possible, right?

    Brittny, I've heard of these things you call "luvers." (Louvers?) Maybe in books? So maybe it's a regional thing. But it reminded me of how, as I child, I used to call the last meal of the day "supper" until I realized how weird that was. I probably stopped when I was 7 or 8, after one too many weird looks. I blame my parents.

    And Mary, it's a good thing this food combination was abandoned before I got old enough to be influenced by it. But in their defense (they sound like a nice-enough family), maybe it was just a quick breakfast when they were on vacation? It's still weird and no one should ever eat bologna ever, but maybe that makes it less bad, somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no memory of you ever calling it "supper," for the record, and i concur--steak thing weird, and the hamburger. Tomato for the princess! lolol. I'm going to say that from now on, wherever i can, even if it doesn't make sense. Britta-- cleaning the sink before doing dishes?? That's like washing them TWICE. I reject this.

    I'm trying to think of some but you stole my doughnut one. My in-laws totally thought it was weird and i can't remember if i just went right ahead and cut into them because clearly they were wrong--dead wrong. Or if i humored them. (but they ARE wrong...)

    I will get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saying "supper" is weird. My childhood friend's family said that and I always thought it was weird. I think it's important to wash the sink, but I always do that at the end of using it - after I dump out chicken juice or do dishes - so it is clean and shiny before I start. So I agree with the sink washing, but I just do it differently, I guess.

    My FIL eats peanut butter on his hamburgers. And yet I am weird for wanting a tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post. Lara i don't know who you are but seriously?.....doesn't everyone eat their hamburgers with tomatoes? You MIL is def the weird one. I love the donut idea we always halved ours too. So my family was always the weird ones, i think everyone thought everything we do/did was weird. All the asian food we ate, i remember taking rice to school for lunch and getting made fun of. We also ate a lot of "weird" candy, which I think is the best...and if I remember right now Jen loves them (hi chews).
    in college my friend loved grilled cheese with jam on top, I thought it was a strange combo, until i tried it. pretty tasty. you get the salty and sweet mixture going on.
    I could go on and on. I love the post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rene, thinking about all your weird asian food is making me laugh. Getting teased for taking rice to school for lunch... classic! These comments are great.

    Being a grilled cheese fan, I'm totally trying one with jam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you give more info about the girl who ate green beans with her hands?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha. Yeah, Tamra, I was wondering if you'd notice. The next game should be to see if you all can name who these stories are about.

    ReplyDelete