Friday, March 30, 2012

Conference Traditions

When I worked for a Utah County newspaper a few years ago, we would do a special section every time general conference rolled around. We did feature articles on stuff happening in the church, like new temples, disaster relief and other humanitarian work, new leaders, etc. We included conference games, recipes, family night ideas and all that fun stuff. Anyway, I was obviously on the lower rungs at the time, having just graduated from college, so I was invariably assigned to collect the "man on the street" stories for the section, which no one else wanted to do. But I kind of liked it. Along with another woman from the newsroom, we went out and polled people on the street with the question du jour, took their picture, and then put it in the paper. One time we hung out on Center Street in Provo, hoping to run into some Mormons, but most of the other times we hit up our tried-and-true hot spot in Orem, where the distribution center sits next door to Deseret Book. Most often, we asked these people about their favorite conference traditions.

Some people said their mothers always made cinnamon rolls Sunday morning. **sending idea to my mom** Others, like my own family, have a girls night while the boys are gone Saturday night. We still do this, which I think is awesome. We get some take out, we watch a movie, and then my brothers and dad show up to have a guys night of their own and we get a recap of what happened during the priesthood session. Whatever the traditions were, it was fun to hear how other families do it.

Besides listening to the prophet and apostles speak and watching in comfy clothes, there are so many things I love about conference. And now that I've started Anna on some quality Conference Bingo and the like, we're starting some of our own traditions. So I want to hear about yours. They can be for kids or not or whatever. What do you do for conference?

2 comments:

  1. uh, we never did much. My mom would try and listen to it on the radio while she did dishes and me and my siblings would argue and yell and then she'd slam a dish down and swear at us. It was good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Brittny. This made me laugh. Sounds so idyllic.

    ReplyDelete