Thursday, February 2, 2012

A fragmented Valentine's Day

I bet you thought this post was going to be a bit more philosophical, with a title like that, didn't you? Well, sorry to disappoint, but it's actually about . . .

THIS!



My latest valentine. I loved it so much I had to blog about it. Anna and I set out to make some special valentines the other day, and she immediately started cutting paper up into little strips. That inspired the mosaic design for mine and something yet to be determined for hers. (Don't you love the invisible pouch for secret notes? I know I do.)

Then I started thinking about making a valentine paper chain, and I wondered how I could make it cool, besides just using valentine colors. And my brain came up with this, which I was very proud of it for. 


It's still a very simple design, requiring only cutting, folding, and stapling, but also very cool. Too bad it wasn't for us.

The rest of our Valentine's plans include decorating cookies, obviously, making more special valentines, trying out this technique on one of Anna's shirts (even though I give their headline a huge thumbs down), and making Anna's valentine box for her class party, which will be one of the most monumental moments of my parental career. I LOVED making these boxes when I was a kid, so I'm pretty sure we'll love making them together. (She WILL love it. I'll make sure of that.)

 Happy Valentine's to you!

6 comments:

  1. Ashley - you have creativity just leaking out all over the place! The heart chain is simply brilliant. And even though I am the least crafty person in America, the doily T-shirt is very cute - but I have to agree that the headline on the article makes me want to "vomit on a kitten" (as Melissa would say…)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adoilyble!

    so with the heart chain-- did you cut strips, fold them in the middle, them bring up the ends and staple them? I know it might not take a genius to figure out but I'm pretty inept so if i'm right, i'll be pleased with myself.

    love the mosaic! Crafty Ash. Crafshley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha to Sandra (and then to Melissa :D), and yes, Jen, you nailed the process. Commence being pleased.

    I'm totally adopting Crafshley, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. . . . even though it sounds a bit like a mash-up of "crap" and "Ashley." I'll have to enunciate very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe add the t, just to be safe. craftshley. ? Could also apply to planes or ships.

    ReplyDelete