Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Independence Day!

There's no way to celebrate the birth of our country quite like making and consuming a red, white, and blue blueberry cheesecake for a family party yesterday. This was my first cheesecake attempt, and I have to say it wasn't too shabby. Tasted pretty good and looked quite pretty, if I do say so myself. I felt more patriotic just for making it. Happy holiday to you.


Check out those muscles. That's what lifting three pounds of cream cheese will do for you.


Firecracker Cheesecake


Blueberry Sauce:

cup blueberries

tablespoons sugar

teaspoon lemon juice



Crust:

cup graham cracker crumbs

1/3  cup sugar

tablespoons butter, melted 

 

Filling:

pounds cream cheese

1 1/3  cups sugar

whole eggs

egg yolks

1/3  cup heavy cream

Small strawberries and blueberries for garnish


Prep Time - 20  min
Cook Time - 200 min
Instructions
  1. To prepare sauce, combine blueberries, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until blueberries begin to release their juices. Mash some of the blueberries against the side of the pan. Let cool.
  2. Preheat oven to 250F. Wrap the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan with foil.
  3. To prepare crust, combine all ingredients and press into the bottom of pan.
  4. To prepare filling, beat cream cheese with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add sugar and beat until smooth.
  5. Combine eggs and egg yolks in a small bowl. Beat lightly. Slowly add eggs to cream cheese mixture while beating. Add heavy cream and beat, scraping the sides of bowl occasionally, until smooth.
  6. Pour one-quarter of the batter into another bowl. Stir in blueberry sauce.
  7. Pour half the unflavored batter over crust. Pour fruit-flavored batter on top. Swirl with a spoon or knife. Top with remaining unflavored batter. Swirl again.
  8. Place springform pan in a larger baking pan. Place on the center rack of oven. Pour in hot water to a depth of 1-inch. Bake 3 hours. Remove from oven. Let cool. Refrigerate at least 8 hours before serving. Garnish with strawberries and blueberries.

5 comments:

  1. You are cute, and I have that shirt. I guess you're taking after your mother with all this awesome food you make! Well done! I wish I could be your taste-tester. (please disregard anything any editor would be embarrassed to publish. I'm off the job.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is impressive. Great job!! Looks amazing. I may have to attempt this one, but worry it won't look as pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake > fireworks. I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thank you, ladies. I liked this recipe because there was (SO) much more cream cheese taste than sugar. I loved that it wasn't overly sweet and I'd rather have my calories from dairy than sugar, anyway.

    ReplyDelete