Tuesday, April 12, 2011

More phantom Ashleys


Remember how I keep getting emails intended for a handful of other Ashley Bankses in the world? Well, here are a few more to add to the list. (Actually, I just like having a reason to post the above picture again and again.)

1. Some other lucky Ashley Banks became a member of PETA this week. Good for her. Sad to know she'll be missing out on all those email newsletters. Happy to read about it while I'm wearing my fur coat.

3. I've also gotten a couple evites about a totally legit bachelorette-ish party going on in Florida. Lots and lots of drinks will be involved. I almost want to RSVP and say I'll be attending. Would it be weird to accept the invitation? Sure, it wasn't exactly intended for me, but I did receive an invitation with my exact name on it so they can't turn me away, right?

2. I got another email about an online chat session another Ashley apparently scheduled with the admissions office of a college in Massachusetts. When I clicked to unsubscribe from further emails, it took me to this ominous page that told me I would never receive emails from Mount Blahblah College ever again in my whole life no matter what. It made me second guess my decision to unsubscribe, thinking that the other Ashley Banks might actually want to keep this appointment or go to college and I might be keeping her from her dreams. But then reason took over and I thought, you know what? If you can't even remember your own email address or type it in correctly, you shouldn't be going to college.

Mean, I know. But really?

4 comments:

  1. I hope your fut coat was nice and warm against your body during all these computer moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not only should you accept that bachelorette party evite in FL, you should GO. "Heeeey!" just show up. No one will notice you aren't the real ashley banks. just show them your ID.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! It's not the same at all, but I keep getting emails through eBay about "my bids." I don't sell on eBay. But people keep emailing me questions about stuff I want to buy. I've tried to notify eBay that they've got the wrong address, but I can't find a way how to. So these poor people never get their questions answered and seller man Dan never sells his stuff and probably gets sucky ratings. I feel a little bad, but like you said, if you're not intelligent enough to type in your own email address correctly, then you probably shouldn't be in business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brit—I don't know whether to be creeped out or confused by your comment. Or maybe both. I still laughed, because it was you, but still.

    Also, I guess many people suffer from this Misdirected Email Syndrome. A friend of mine just posted on facebook that, through emails, she has watched some woman with her same name go through a divorce a couple years ago, sell her wedding ring, and then she just adopted a cat ... which called for some spinster jokes. But at least we can laugh and find the silver lining in the midst of this email plague. (It's more like a rash, I guess, but I'm feeling dramatic.)

    ReplyDelete