Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Cheer & Christmas Guilt — A Sampler

CHRISTMAS FUN
The Christmas season has already been super fun this year, and I'm glad it's not over yet. Anna's first coherent Christmas was last year, I guess, so this year is extra (you could even say "super") fun in that she remembers last year and knows what to be excited for. Plus, kids = Christmas fun, I say. We've already done it up right with several batches of cookies, ornament making, Christmas card making, stories by the Christmas tree, daily trips to the advent calendar, and present making—all to the tune of lots of Christmas music.

THE S.C.
And it seems like almost everyone (every parent, at least) has their own beef or belief about the Santa Claus issue. I've never felt super strongly about promoting his story as a parent, mostly because I don't ever remember believing in him. (I think this is due to the fact that I had seven older siblings.) So I knew I'd never be Santa crazy, but I still think there's some fun in his story. I do try to downplay his involvement (Santa will be bringing Anna one present this year, for instance, and all the rest of us will get the credit for the other presents), we honestly don't talk about him all that much, and I don't use him as a threat to get good behavior. But he provides a little more magic for the season. Best of all, I think he's a great metaphor for the real reason for Christmas, the one who really gives gifts to all the world.

CHRISTMASES OF YORE
In trying to create some Christmas fun for Anna, I've thought a lot about what made my childhood Christmases so special and what I would like Anna's to be like. The Christmases I remember the most are the ones where we did some service as a family, like shopping for, wrapping, and delivering presents and Christmas dinner for a nearby family in need. That particular memory is so vivid and it was probably 20-ish years ago. My parents were pretty great at creating these opportunities for us to serve.

...AND BRING ON THE CHRISTMAS GUILT
And, to be honest, I still remember the Christmas where I went to my mom and complained that I didn't feel like I had gotten very many presents (I'm pretty sure this was just after I had opened a ton, including a green unicorn sweatshirt). What a brat. I'm so ashamed. But back to all the warmhearted service...

So I wanted to start a tradition like this with Anna this year. Some people in my neighborhood were organizing a service project where we could buy a toy and a hat and gloves for a Navajo child, so I signed us up and took Anna shopping. I don't think she really understood what I told her about some people not being able to afford certain things, but when I told her we were shopping for a 3-year-old girl, she got excited that that was almost just like her. (Small steps, small steps.) She eagerly ran around the toy department, looking for things she thought this little girl would love, and helped me wrap the presents and make them pretty so the little girl would like them. And Anna did understand the part about how we have so many blessings and that we can afford to help someone who needs it because that's what Jesus would do and what he wants us to do.

After we delivered the presents, I'll sheepishly admit that I was proud of myself for doing some service, no matter how small, and that I had provided this experience for Anna. I started to think about how Christmas is such a wonderful time of year, when people really reach out and give to others, when I stopped in my tracks. Why am I only doing this now? Why do I have to wait for December to roll around before I turn on the kindness and giving? That's so hypocritical.

AND A LITTLE MORE CHEER
So I felt guilty. But I assuaged these feelings by thinking that, if nothing else, at least people are reminded to love and take care of each other for a whole month out of the year. 30+ days of that isn't too bad. And hopefully, it's just a jump start to changing our attitudes toward each other and not a fleeting, once-a-year charity drive. Here's to that and a merry Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. To avoid being hypocritical, I specifically do NOT give to charities in the Christmas season just as I do the rest of the year. No toy drives, no food donation, and definitely no coins for the bell ringers. There may be a better way to avoid hypocrisy, but I cant think of anything right now.

    I'm kidding of course, we just picked out toys for Halle's school toy drive. Very fun, and a good exercise for them to go through. Pick out a toy that is NOT for them. It was only a little bit hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's better that it's only 30 days out of the year (the kindness and the giving, etc) because that way we can see the contrast and really appreciate it more. If all we knew was good, would we really know it was good? Opposition, man. Think about that.

    ReplyDelete