Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Recycle

A long time ago, I told my sister about these funny warnings that came with some really cheap and sketchy pasta pots that we were given for our wedding. After I read the warnings to her, she posted them on her blog. But since it's been years since the post and now that I have a blog and now that we were joking about these the other day, here they are for all to enjoy. (And enjoy again, if you have been a longtime Jen's Log reader.)

Reading these never fail to make me laugh. In fact, I glued them into my Book of Things That Make Me Happy. Also, the wording and spelling here are 100% consistent with the original instructions, so read carefully.

WARNING
1. The products cannot be allowed to be wash on the non-stick surface by metal scourer/other metal cleaning utensil.
2. The prosucts cannot be allowed to operate by metal kitchen untensil for cooking (suggest to be nyloin or wood material).
3. The products cannot be burned/fired without the liquid putting inside of the products over 2 minutes.
4. The products cannot be cleaned up by dish washer machinery.
5. The clean up the products is allowed to clean by water and then using the cloth to dry up.
6. The burning/fire temperature cannot be allowed over 220 degrees Celsius.
7. The bakelite handle cannot be directly fired.

Take special notice of #2 just for the spelling fun ("nyloin"? I don't want to use anything made out of that) and the wording of #3. What? I also like the incredibly interesting uses of the word “allow,” as if the pots have a mind of their own so they shouldn’t be “allowed” to “operate by metal kitchen untensils,” even though they might want to. I also like how the word “burn” is used all the time, as if that’s how we cook in this country. We burn and fire things. And we may have tried to directly “fire” the bakelite handle, for no reason, if not for the warning. That’s just a funny visual for me, imagining someone holding just the handle directly over the stove in an attempt to cook something.

4 comments:

  1. So I gagged a little bit when I read "nyloin." That shouldn't be allowed. Not ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that cracks me up. I am right there with you on the use of the word "allow." Those crazy pots! The real question is - do you still have/use them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure that we gave you those pots for a wedding gift, so I'm really insulted that you have described them as "cheap" and "sketchy." :-)

    I actually LOVE reading "interesting" translations like that. I imagine that if I were to say anything in Chinese, though, it would come out far more nonsensically!
    (Sandra - and yes, some day I will grow up and not have to post comments anonymously - but not today.)

    Word verification - brans - hey! That's a real word! No fair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lara: No, we don't use them anymore. They started to rust and the black "non-stick" stuff suddenly decided not to stick to the pot anymore, so we stopped using them. But maybe we just weren't burning them correctly, or something.

    And Sandra: That is false. You gave us a most beautifully crocheted afghan for our wedding, so there. Don't try to play these guilt tricks on me.

    ReplyDelete