Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Princess Fever

Otherwise known as the Obligatory (Yet Understandable Because She's So Adorable) Halloween Post.

Anna wanted to be a "golden princess" this year. She was very specific about this request, as she loves all things princess, and since I was born wearing homemade, hand-me-down, or scrounged-up Halloween costumes (I'm pretty sure I sported quart jar rings for gigantor earrings more than once or twice), I decided I would make her a golden princess dress. Myself. I wanted her to have a good ol' fashioned Halloween, like the kind I used to have. And since this is basically her first coherent Halloween, I wanted to start her off right.

And, what in the world was I thinking. What a job. But I'm actually glad that I did it. I don't think I'm going to become the next... (who's a famous seamstress?) ... Julia...Bernina, but I'm glad that I can now follow a pattern to some degree and that her dress mostly resembled the picture on the front. And I'm a little more self-sufficient, now. So if you can get past a few quirky alterations and a somewhat wonky zipper, I think it turned out fine.

And she loves it. I've seen more twirls in this thing than any other dress. So mission accomplished, I say.
Also, I really liked how, while we were out trick or treating and when people would compliment her on her dress, Anna was quick to inform them that she wasn't just dressing up—because she was, indeed, a real princess. She was so in character.

And continuing the princess ailment she is currently suffering from, she even wanted a princess carved in her pumpkin. She did the digging and I carved a pretty cute freehand princess, if I can toot my own horn yet again. Let's retitle the post something about that, since that's apparently all I can talk about.

Here is my latest work of art. Post your compliments below.

4 comments:

  1. Hey - I know this is probably way too late but ever since I saw you in Target I meant to 'blog' you..I know you are probably back in LA now, but whenever you come out to Utah there is a small group of us that gets together to 'craft' - we are currently working on a massive quiet book project and would love to have you anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a really good mom! I made poor Melissa always choose a costume that could be used later by her brothers! (e.g. puppy, bear, bunny, etc.) Thus, she only got to be "girly" stuff when she was older and getting her own costumes together! Actually, her very first Halloween costume was Raggedy Ann, so I guess I didn't completely fail… Excellent job on the golden princess dress! You're amazing. (Sandra)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're amazing Ash. Seriously, she looks adorable. And her smile is a keeper. Not that you wouldn't keep her if she didn't smile so well. Oh man, I don't know what I'm saying. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur. It is totally awesome & I am jealous. I don't have anything made from tulle. :(

    ReplyDelete