Thursday, August 28, 2008

Our last days in Poland

When I wasn't ready to pull my hair out after packing and weighing 6 huge suitcases (each coming in at just ounces under the 50 lb. limit), 3 carry-ons, and 5 giant boxes to be shipped (which also had to be painstakingly weighed), we spent our time eating as much bread and yogurt as possible, hanging out with our friends, and squeezing as much fun into our last days in Poland as we could.

And now here are some pictures to illustrate, since I'm too busy (read lazy) to write much about it.

While Trevor did some much-needed work on his film, Anna and I spent a day and a half with a woman I lovingly refer to as my Polish grandmother. Nina is one of the most kind, generous women I have met. She speaks a little English, after having taught at Oxford for several years, and she conveniently lived on the floor above us. When she found out that there was a cute American family living in her building, she started bringing us food and inviting us over to her place. Nina was so fun to talk to and she made DELICIOUS food. She even invited me over to make dumplings with her one day, at my request. She loved Anna and constantly showered her with gifts and attention. Anyway, Nina has a house in the country, actually it's in a forest, and we spent the day there with her and her friend Basia. (Anna still remembers both of them.)

At a restaurant where Nina treated us to giant pieces of szarlotka, a delicious Polish apple tart, and playing on the playground. (Please note Anna's orange vest in every photo on this trip. She refused to take it off, even though she was sweating profusely. I had to hide it once she went to bed.)

Going down the slide like a big girl.

Having more fun putting dirt on her legs than going down the slide.
Nina's backyard.
A stop at a nearby lake after everyone's afternoon nap. (I love hanging out with old ladies.)

Random man.

At another restaurant later that evening. This one was huge and historic and a little bit interactive.


The restaurant's idea of a small serving of ice cream. SO tasty. However, I was completely ill by the end of that day. So much good food.

This was taken after our marathon packing day, when Anna spent the entire day with Maria and Orlando. No, I didn't shower. No, I didn't put much makeup on. Yes, I look completely disheveled. Thank you.

This is most of our branch in Lodz, taken literally 10 minutes before we left for Warsaw, the day before we left Poland. We miss you guys already!

The next installment? The Trip Home: Long Waits, Airport Gates, and an Impromptu Stay at Jen's.

3 comments:

  1. wow. i can't tell from that last pick that anna learned long ago what to do with a "small" serving of ice cream: the two-fingered gag. very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna's hair is getting so long! Good luck with all your new changes in L.A.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, I wanted to tell you, I'm in the Nauvoo temple district now and went to Nauvoo last weekend and ran into 'Sister Cartwright'! Fun stuff! We talked about you and reminisced...

    ReplyDelete