Monday, July 14, 2008

Potato, puhtahto

I was helping Anna eat some soup last night and she was having a hard time pronouncing the word "potato." She has said it fine before, so I was helping her to fine-tune the pronunciation, as this time she happened to be calling them "tomatoes."

And this is how our conversation went.

Anna: (seeing an incoming bite of potato) "Tomato!"
Me: "No, this is a potato."
Anna: "Tomato."
Me: "No, puh-tay-toe."
Anna: "Tomato!"

We pause so she can eat a few more bites when I see this conversation isn't going anywhere.

And then I give it another go.

Me: "Say potato."
Anna: "Tomato."
Me: "Silly girl. Say puh-tay-toe. This is a potato. Potato."
Anna: "Yam!"

Priceless.

But I guess it would only be fair to tell you that "yam" is how Anna has been saying "yeah" lately. I don't know where the "m" came from, but, while it still makes me laugh that she was agreeing with me after all that, it made this little conversation an absolute gem.

2 comments:

  1. I shared this little anecdote at the breakfast table thismorning and the boys got a kick out of it! haha Garrett has been quoting it all day! That is really so cute, i like that you're a nice mom and actually let her get a few bites in. My dad sorta... took away the food until we could say it right. After we were pretty well-off speaking-wise, the table-time challenge morphed into math questions. It'll be nice when I move out and can eat a meal without stretching my brain before i'm allowed second-helpings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna obviously has skills for compromising.

    ReplyDelete