Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Our Polish Christmas (an addendum)

I forgot to mention a couple of things about Christmas in Poland. First, there are these huge, nest-like bundles in so many of the trees here, and Trevor kindly informed me that the bundles are actually a parasite more commonly known as mistletoe. Whoa!

Secondly, I just thought it was crazy that enormous fireworks (like the kind that I know are so illegal in Utah) have been on sale here for the past month, and people have been setting them off the entire month. What a way to celebrate Christmas. We feel like we live in a war zone with these huge explosions and rockets taking off right unexpectedly outside our window. The fireworks also played a major role in our New Year's Eve experience. At the stroke of midnight, I swear every citizen of Lodz decided to light some fireworks. It was so surreal. Imagine your living room standing in the middle of the Stadium of Fire...with a sleeping baby in the next room. Not only was it so insanely loud, but it was crazy to see a million huge, glittering fireworks shoot up right from our neighborhood. It was so weird to see them among apartment buildings and tall trees. We ran up to the top floor of our building to check out the scene below and it was amazing. The insane loudness continued for about an hour and then eventually tapered off. But the fireworks haven't stopped. Every now and again I'll here another gunshot-like explosion from some latecomer and I'll think to myself, "Ah yes. Happy New Year...even now that it's January 3rd."

7 comments:

  1. Christmas and New Years sounds like a lot of fun in Poland. My parents have a similar story about Chinese New Year, they feel like they are in a war zone with all the noise from the fire works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so fun. I want firecrackers going off all around me!

    It sounds like here, actually. People will light fireworks because it's Tuesday.

    Happy bday to t-rev!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't want to be left out. There. I made a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tamra, I would appreciate it if you would keep your comments limited to the topic at hand or at least directed at me instead of as a way to socialize. Thanks.

    Anyway, you should totally start a blog. And then we could converse entirely through our comments to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ash,
    What a fun read. You still have your newspaper writing skills I see. I also enjoyed reading the comments from all those good friends that you know and I know. Hello to all of you.

    Mom S

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was on my mission we had other elders over for a new years party. At midnight we had the same thing. People were out in the streets shooting fireworks and drinking. We stuck our heads out the window and I think it was a drunk guy who shot a rocket at us. It hit the wall right next to the window. It was kinda scary to have one of those rockets shot at you.

    ReplyDelete