Monday, June 10, 2013

Anna's Golden Birthday

Monkeying around in the party-supply aisle
The day of Anna's golden birthday finally arrived. She has been waiting for SOOOO long to turn 7 on the 7th. We had a lot of fun things planned, and everything came off without a hitch. I'm pretty proud of all we accomplished in a few short days.

Anna has always been a very gracious gift receiver, so giving her gifts is a delight. It's a win-win. (Plus, her presents are really fun to play with.) She was genuinely excited by each one, even though she got quite a few. So many people love her. After she opened one present, she said, "I'm so jealous of myself!" The present in question? A Hello Kitty book light. Birthday present success. 







riding straight into the flowers


The first thing she wanted to do with this new camera was pose for a picture with it. She tried to aim my phone by herself, but I ended up helping her out. I admired her innovation. 


The next night was her party, which we themed a Late Night Dance Party. ("Late night," meaning it ended at 8:30. Riotous, I know.) We hung white Christmas lights on the patio and colorful balloons from the ceiling that had lights inside, paper lanterns, and we had a rotating disco ball (all of which would have been cooler if it had been dark, but whatev, it was still cool). Anna picked doritos and marshmallows and grapes as the snacks—and cupcakes in golden liners, of course. 









Before we could dance, the girls had to glam up a little. They made sparkly bracelets with cute little gemstones, put on disco ball necklaces, and clipped on a brightly colored hair extension. The music Anna picked was awesome. The songs were some of my favorites, since most of the music she hears comes from my library, but I loved what she picked. (We Are Young by Fun, which she announced is her favorite band, Katy Perry's Firework, some Adele, some U2, The Promise by When In Rome (yep, from the 80s), and some other classics.) I also played Dynamite by Taio Cruz (?), which is the song the first graders at her school danced to at the dance festival, and the instant it came on, all the girls got into position and did the whole thing like they were delightfully brainwashed. Amazing.

Anyhow, it was a very fun night and such a fun way to celebrate this little lady's golden birthday.


twirling with the leftover balloons

1 comment:

  1. Happy golden birthday!! There was a little girl in church the other day who told me she was turning 8 on the 8th and I FLIPPED. I could see she couldn't understand what "golden birthday" meant and I told her to immediately go home and tell her mom before it was too late.

    Such a fun party. What a golden gal, and a golden mom. You make her life so fun. Good job, Ash.

    ReplyDelete