Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Proverbs — Anna style

Have you seen this floating around the world wide web lately? Take a look.


Some of the answers are kind of funny, but I would say most are too clever to be from the mouths of first graders. But I also thought it would be a fun experiment to see what Anna would come up with. And it was totally worth it. I gave her the first half of these proverbs, and she came up with the endings. Some of her answers were quite astute. Some were complete nonsense, like Don't put off til tomorrow what . . . "has new hope." And by number 22, she was pretty worked up: If at first you don't succeed . . . "you shall replenish in the depths of the world."

But some were pretty close to the real meaning and others her own brand of great. Here are Anna's versions of a few of them.

Never underestimate the power of . . . "light."

You can lead a horse to water but . . . "not fire."

Don't bite the hand that . . . "helps you."

No news is . . . "good or bad—just medium."

A miss is as good as a . . . "mister."

You can't teach an old dog new . . . "things."

If you lie down with dogs, you'll . . . "get diseases."

Love all, trust . . . "no robbers."

The pen is mightier than the . . . "lead of a pencil."

An idle mind is . . . "weird."

Where there's smoke, there's . . . "fire."

Happy the bride who . . . "weds the weirdo groom."

A penny saved is . . . "a dollar earned."

Two's company, three's . . . "a factory."

Laugh and the whole world laughs with you, cry and . . .  "the whole world laughs at you."

There are none so blind as . . . "two senses gone from someone."

Children should be seen and not . . . "hidden."

You get out of something only what you . . . "tell the truth in."

A bird in the hand is worth  . . . "fifty cents."

Better late than . . . "early."

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, these are AWESOME. It makes me want to wander around and make every first grader I know/see do it too. So funny! I loved Anna's. My favorite:

    Laugh and the whole world laughs with you, cry and ... "the whole world laughs at you."

    hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to know what investments Anna has knowledge of - because I would love to earn a dollar for every penny I save! :-) Also, I think she is spot on about lying with dogs and getting diseases!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now want nothing more than to wed a weirdo groom and be a happy bride. Come to think of it, I've ALWAYS wanted that, I've just never been able to word it quite so well!

    My ultimate favorite, though, is the eversodramatic, "you shall replenish in the depths of the world." Love this girl's diction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, Melissa. I, too, loved the weirdo groom one. Well said, Anna.

    And Sandra, I had the same thought about the investment stuff. Looks like we have a little banker in the family. ;) Just kidding. I am in no way serious about that statement, but her math was funny. This girl kills me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "A miss is as good as a mister." That one took me off guard. So great.

    ReplyDelete