Thursday, June 21, 2012

Birthday Traditions

Obviuosly, birthdays have been on my mind, as of late, and I've been thinking a lot about birthday traditions. With Anna, I have carried over some from my own childhood, and some seem to have developed on their own.

Back in the days of yore, when I was growing up, here were our birthday traditions:
  • We got to pick our favorite kind of sweet cold cereal (like Cap'n Crunch, or something) because we never got the good stuff, ordinarily.
  • We got to choose what we had for dinner.
  • We got to pick the kind of birthday cake we wanted.
  • The kitchen was always decorated with crepe paper and balloons.
  • * UPDATE * I totally forgot about the special birthday plate and goblet! I'm so ashamed. (Thanks for reminding me, Jen.) Anyway, we got to use these fancy things when we ate our birthday dinner. I always looked forward to this part of my birthday.



I think that pretty much covers it, besides getting a few presents, obviously. Way, way back, the kids in my family also got to go out to dinner, just ourselves with our parents, and to a movie. I think I only got to do this once or twice because it became extremely hard with eight kids and the birthday-date tradition was eventually abandoned. I even remember doubling up once with a brother whose birthday was in September because my parents hadn't gotten around to him yet. It was fun while it lasted, though.

Probably 15+ years ago, I made a birthday banner (that we still use to this day) from cardstock, curling ribbon, and scotch tape. With quality supplies like that, it's really kind of a miracle that it has lasted this long. And this thing has traveled to many homes and places. We have even been known to send it to different states once in a while if someone is having a birthday.


For some reason, my sister and I started a tradition of making a birthday sign written backwards and putting it up on the wall opposite the bathroom mirror. This year was the first year I did that for Anna, which she loved (probably now that she can read it).

When you're concentrating so hard on writing backwards, it's easy to forget silly, unnecessary letters like H . . .

Last year, I decided to make Anna a shirt with a 5 on it for her 5th birthday. She got to pick the color of the shirt and the ribbon I used to make the 5. 


Although I hadn't necessarily planned on making one every year, she was excited this year to have a 6 shirt, so we made it happen. And a new tradition was born.


The lace she chose had a string of fake pearls up the middle—very fancy. We'll see how long they last. While I was in the middle of sewing this, I mourned the fact that I hadn't thought to do it when she was 4 (because of the straight lines), but I'm totally looking forward to 7. That's going to be a breeze.

I love the traditions. They make the celebrations that much more fun because, while the presents are fun surprises, you anticipate the traditions and know what to expect. It's fun that Anna's at an age where she can remember last year's birthday and birthday traditions and can look forward to them again. All the traditions don't always show up every single year, but when they do, they're delightful.

So now I want to know about some of your birthday traditions, old or new. Last one to comment is a rotten egg!

4 comments:

  1. don't forget the birthday plate and cup!!

    love the t-shirts. So want this on my birthday. they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was growing up the only birthday traditions we had were "birthday spanks" which I hated and thought were stupid (and I still do.) I guess the other one was that we never wrapped birthday presents - we usually just handed them over in a paper bag. (We did wrap Christmas presents, though.)

    With my family now we let the kids pick their birthday breakfast and birthday dinner and they also get to pick a restaurant for a birthday dinner. When they were younger, they also got to pick a birthday activity (Chuck E. Cheese, Miniature Golf, etc.) but that kind of died out as they got older.

    We "wake them up" - I think 98% of the time they're actually already awake - on their birthday by singing "Happy Birthday" in 12-part harmony (which can be tricky, since there are only 6 of us when we're all here!) Then we all sit on the king-sized bed in Jerome's and my room and they get their presents. (We don't all fit as comfortably as we used to, but it can still work as long as someone doesn't try to lay down!)

    The kids each got a Surprise Party when they turned 7, which of course, got trickier with each child. They also got a party when they turned 14 and that was it. (Can you tell I'm not much of a party-giver?)

    I have a book that shows how to make several different "cut out" cakes and the kids used to pick their cake each year from that book. I think the one I ended up making most often was in the shape of a gumball machine, although the robot and the watch were also made multiple times. More recently, a few have decided that they like other desserts more than cake, so we've had birthday pie, birthday brownies, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I read the title of your post I actually thought of how fun it was to get a box of sugar cereal from you guys when you came to my parties. Also I just about died when I saw the pool party pictures.....I LOVE that you guys still have the horse trough? I seriously loved swimming in that when we were little. I can't believe Anna is 6 it looks like you made it a very special birthday for here. You are such an amazing mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra, I loved this! Boo to birthday spanks, but yay to 12-part harmony and gumball machine cakes. Awesome.

    Interesting about the parties. My parents were also not party people. We got a birthday party ever four years, including a sleepover when we turned 12 and a surprise party when we turned 16.

    Rene, I had totally forgotten about the cereal we gave as presents! That was either kind of lame or really cool, I'm not sure which.

    ReplyDelete