Friday, May 15, 2009

My top 10 favorite books . . . er, authors

...if you were to ask me today. I love to read, so I think about books a lot. I like to buy books, think about them, look at them, and plan how big my home library will be someday.

And lately, I've been making this list in my head for no particular reason, which makes it a perfect fit for the blog. Random list for no reason.

Though this list could change at any time, here's how I feel about it today. So, in no particular order, my top 10 favorite books/authors:

1. Anna Karenina. This book, though insanely long, is pretty darn amazing. I mean, there's a reason it's considered a classic, if my opinion means anything. Tolstoy is incredibly gifted, weaving meaning and beautiful writing into great storytelling, and I feel like I underlined half the book. Two of my favorite parts: the chapter detailing a horse race that was one of the most vivid, visual reading experiences I've had, and a beautiful section showing one character exhibit true, Christian forgiveness.
2. The Yearling. Though this is considered young adult fiction, I believe, I read this book for the first time only a couple years ago and was quickly caught up in the gripping story. But as soon as I finished it, I realized that it was way out of the ordinary and perhaps even a masterpiece. It quickly made my list of favorites. There are some beautiful, poignant parts in here, too.
3. The Hours. I am a fan of Virginia Woolf, so I was excited to read this book, which is partly about her. How Michael Cunningham weaves the three stories into each other is pretty amazing, but basically I love it because it is just a very well-written book.
4. Pride and Prejudice. I've written about it before, so there's not much more to say here. Love the story, love the writing. Love Jane Austen. Old news, for the blog and the rest of the world.
5. Daniel Martin. This is one book that introduced me to one of my favorite authors, John Fowles. He's amazing, too. I love most of what I have read by him, which is quite a bit. This book is long too, but I just like the way this guy writes.
6. Madeleine L'Engle. I ate up everything this author wrote when I was young. And I mean everything. I read everything they had in the nearest library, I did inter-library loans, and the whole shebang. I loved the Wrinkle in Time series, loved the books about the Austins, and basically everything she has ever written. However, I recently reread A Wrinkle in Time and the second in the series, and I'll admit I wasn't as enthused as I was when I was young. The writing was still good, but it seemed like a better fit for a younger audience. So maybe it's better if they stay in the young adult fiction genre, but I still like them for sentimental reasons.
7. Chaim Potok. Here's another author who has never disappointed. I started with The Chosen and The Promise only a couple years ago, which were excellent, but I've read a few others since then that I have enjoyed almost as much. Excellent, excellent writing. And I loved reading about a religious world that was so different from my own yet still being able to find similarities.
8. Harry Potter. This is totally cheap, but I'm putting it on here anyway. I recently reread books 4 and 5 and I'm partway through 6 again now, and it's just good fun. I can't deny it.
9. Doris Lessing. I first read a short story by this woman when I was in college (To Room Nineteen, which I highly recommend). And since then I have read several books of her short stories and one novel. One of the best living authors, in my opinion, and well-deserving of the 2007 Nobel prize she received for literature.
10. Rosamunde Pilcher. This one is for the less academic crowd as well, but I've read a lot by her and liked them all. She writes very sweet stories — some about love, some about family relationships — but they are so straightforward, so real, and so cozy all at the same time. It says a lot when an author fills you with an intense desire to visit Cornwall and attend a shooting party in Scotland.

So there they are. I just realized half of my list is made up of British authors. Do you think that means anything?

What would make your list of favorites?

4 comments:

  1. "Gone With the Wind." If you haven't read it, you've gone through life with a missing limb. Scarlett is a brat but I love her. I am also rereading the Harry Potters and just finished the sixth one up. I got The Hours for graduation and am looking forward to reading it by an AZ pool. Nice book list. But were you British in another life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too loved The Hours. In fact, I should find it and give it another go. I'm also a sucker for a good Roald Dahl or in other words, a Roald Dahl. :D But I am partial to the childrens/young adult lit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chaim Potok is an all time favorite. You've inspired me to make my own list. Did Doris Lessing write the story about the mom who gets stoned by her family and town? I think it's called The Lottery. Just kidding. I think I just remembered that it was written by Shirley Jackson. Maybe not. Anyway, love short stories.

    ReplyDelete