Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Kid Games: A Review

I love games. Like, looooove them — enough to marry them. And I always have, and maybe more than most. I think it must be part of the Youngest Child Syndrome, where you always feel shortchanged because everyone was always too old or too busy to play with you all of your life and you never got to play as much as the other kids.

With that said, my family has always liked games (we take all-play-all-the-time Pictionary to new heights), but I could always handle more. I wanted to continue this tradition with Anna, so I started giving her a book and a game for her birthday and for Christmas so that we could build our collections of both. (I love books too.)  And then I buy several more throughout the year because I can't help myself. Luckily, Anna LOVES games and anyone who will play with her, so we are of like mind in this.

But all games are not created equal. Especially kid games. I have to be in a really good mood to sit down to Candyland, for instance, but Anna loves it because 1) it's set in a land made of candy and 2) Princess Frostine. But there are a few games we've found that are as fun for adults as they are for kids. So I thought I would post a few of my favorites here to spread the joy.

KID GAMES: A REVIEW

1. Cadoo

This is the kid version of Cranium. I like Cranium, and this is the perfect, pared-down version for kids. It has drawing and sculpting challenges, charades (which are nearly impossible a hoot when you're watching a six-year-old), word puzzles, and trivia. And secret word decoder glasses, which are a highlight. There are also fun challenges where you have one minute to get up and find objects in certain categories, like something sticky and something furry. It's good times. Since Anna's still a youngin', we just play without the timer.


2. Quelf Jr. 

This is another kid version of an adult game, but I've never played the adult version. Have any of you? This one's fun because it's totally random and silly. You draw cards that make you do silly things, like pretend your foot is a baby and cuddle with it until your next turn. It's definitely one to let your inhibitions out.


3. The Ugly Doll Card Game 

This is sort of a speed matching game with a very simple premise and one most everyone likes. Plus, if you grab a card at the same time as another player, the first person to say "ugly" three time gets it. Who doesn't like that?




4. Memory 

We have several versions of Memory, but I love this one because of its amazing design. I like the little green discs, but I love the different patterns that you can switch out: animal prints, colors, numbers, letters, etc. I feel like it's giving your brain an extra workout, which is a good feeling. This one is fun and cool.






5. The Scrambled States of America Game

This is a speed game centered around the 50 states, their nicknames, and capitals. Perhaps because of my insistance that she learn how to play every game with me, Anna is a little ahead of her time with this one, which I think is intended for kids 8 and up. But she seriously loves it. She even recently taught my dad how to play. And now she's basically ready for 9th-grade geography.



6. Wig Out 

And the game that probably gets the most playing time at our house is Wig Out. It's easy, it's fast, and everyone likes it, no matter their age or disposition. (Everyone I've made play it, anyway.) I got it on a whim when I went into this magical toy store last year, and it has been a HUGE hit.



A couple of these games came from gamewright.com, which, if I could be their spokesperson, I totally would. I can't think of one game we've gotten from there that we didn't like. Way to be, Gamewright.


Do you have any favorites we might need to try? Current favorites? Favorites from your childhood?

8 comments:

  1. You'll be happy to know that Anna will get to use her US geography knowledge even sooner than 9th grade - our kids all learned the states and capitals in 5th grade as well. Of course, Anna being "ahead of the game" is nothing new. (Sorry - the pun wasn't originally intended, it just kind of happened…)

    Also, do you suppose that the "Frostine" of indexing fame (sisters Christine, Ernestine and Frostine) was named after PRINCESS Frostine? (How long has Candyland been around?)

    The only game I can think of from my childhood (besides the obvious ones like Sorry, Old Maid, Go Fish, and checkers) is Chutes and Ladders, of which I was not much of a fan, since I always landed on a lot more chutes than ladders…

    I always wanted "Twister" when I was a kid, but we got it when our kids were younger and it was never a huge hit…

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when it was Queen Frostine. I like the rhyme better, but girls like the "Princess" part.

    Granted, my Joci is only 3 so our games are really simple, but we LOVE Where Is Sock Monkey? You take turns hiding the sock monkey, then go through some clues about what room it is in, then when you get a "Find the monkey" card, you have a minute to go look for the toy using the clues you have to guide you. Perfect toddler/preschooler game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love games! That Quelf sounds pretty fun. There's an adult version, you say? (<-- once again, making it sound dirty. there's no way around that) Today i quizzed Julian on the names of chess pieces. It's never too early!! When i asked him what the name of the bishop was he said, "mormon!" ???

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. your stupid word verification made me try like 10 times because it looked like blurry gibberish. Down with word verification!!

    oh crap, now i'm going to have to do it again with this comment! Noooooooo....!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pit. Love it. Need it.

    Sorry is a classic and Clue can be a hoot with adults, especially if you make them get into character of the piece they play. The Game of Things is cool, but more adult oriented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary tried to comment but her plans were foiled by the crazy word verification, so here is her comment:

    "We played Wig Out tonight. It was great fun. You should look into Sleeping Queens for Anna. Our kids love that one. And yes, I hate that "adult" is a synonym for sleazy now, Jen. I just feel dirty whenever I say something is for adults. It's an adult party. Eeewww."

    I just thought Jen should know what you said, Mary. :D

    And yeah, what is it with word verifications lately? I sometimes start to question my own humanity because they're too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! Can't wait to get the Scrambled States and Wig Out. Don't you think we should invent game club....kinda like book club, except you get together and play a new game or two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Siouxzy, we should TOTALLY invent game club. I would join in a second.

    ReplyDelete