Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Thoughts from the concert

I'm still in the middle of my concert hangover/reverie, so I thought I would post, in no particular order, a few thoughts I had last night.
  • After The Fray performed, they played some random music before U2 came out. Then on came David Bowie's "Space Oddity" (okay, so I didn't know it by that name either—you know, "ground control to major tom"?), and after the words "commencing countdown . . . engines on," the band appeared on stage. Clever timing, yes, but I also can't hear those words without seeing Chandler Bing sing them.
  • As much as you love listening to the music at home or wherever, there is nothing that beats being there live with 50,000 other people, singing the same words you're singing. Kind of amazing. And the visual spectacle, of course, was a wonder.
  • A very important part of the concert experience is people watching, I think. There was a HUGE range of ages there last night. Young kids, some seriously young kids (people everywhere, don't bring your 3 year old to hear U2), middle somethings, and some much older folks, white haired and all. I was kind of surprised at this. I guess it makes sense, since U2 has been around for like 30 years, but still. I sat near this lady who was late 50s or early 60s and wearing a total grandma pink shirt, and she was rocking out all night, singing along and everything. I guess I shouldn't judge, and I guess U2 is no respecter of persons.
  • I actually think that may be part of their appeal. Their fans ARE young and old, and the band has maintained its coolness since the beginning. Not many bands can claim as much.
  • Bono is a great performer. I love his voice and he made the show fun. But my new crush? The Edge. He's kind of hot and, if this amateur critic can say so, kind of a guitar virtuoso.
  • There are also few things better than hearing the opening of "Where the Streets Have No Name" played live. It was The Edge, I tell you! He's a magical wizard.
  • With all that talk about seeing a live concert, a rebellious part of myself wondered if people might not feel the same way if we all just met in the stadium, blasted greatest hits CDs over the sound system, and sang along to our hearts' content. We could even flash a few spotlights now and then. Sure, it was fun when Bono talked to the audience and made it a little more personal, but I think "listening parties" might almost be just as good.
  • But I still loved it and didn't want it to end.

3 comments:

  1. fun fun! i haven't been to a live concert.. like of a band, in a millenium. That needs to be remedied. Also: did you just compare U2 to God? I'm just asking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [cringe] No! Actually, that thought did cross my mind after I wrote that line, but it's said about normal people all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think of Friends when I hear "Ground control to Major Tom."

    ReplyDelete