Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Good Books, round 2


There were many, many books that didn't make my recent top 10 list, but some of them are still really good ones, so I felt like I should make another list. I couldn't get them off my mind. Here they are, a few more favorites.

The Addendum to My Top 10 List of Favorite Books
Jane Eyre
Cold Sassy Tree
The Time Traveler's Wife (*This is an excellent book, although I had to do a lot of editing the first time through. If you need to borrow my edited copy, riddled with blacked-out words and milder cuss words written in, please feel free. :D I'm also quite excited about the movie adaptation coming out. I hope they didn't mess it up.)
Tisha
To Kill a Mockingbird
A Town Like Alice
To the Lighthouse
The Hiding Place
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
Coming Home

Here's another list while I'm at it. These are well-known books that I've seen on the shelves of my home or on lists of suggested reading for years, probably starting with 10th grade Honor's English summer reading. These are books I've always meant to tackle, books that, when I've read them, will make me undoubtedly cultured and well-read and extremely intelligent.

Books I've always been meaning to read:
Catch 22
Crime and Punishment / War and Peace (I'd really be happy with either.)
1984 / Animal Farm
anything by Charles Dickens (I know. How can I even call myself a person if I haven't read any Charles Dickens?)
The Catcher in the Rye
The House of Mirth
A Farewell to Arms
Brideshead Revisited
Atlas Shrugged
The Grapes of Wrath
My Antonia

What's on your To Read list?

4 comments:

  1. funny - I've read most of your "To Read" list but haven't read your "Read list" except for a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. It has seriously been my favorite book since I was ten and I'm not embarrassed to admit it! I also really liked Catcher in the Rye and the Grapes of Wrath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Antonia is a favorite. Have you seen The House of Mirth? I think it has the X Files lady in it. Oh and Eric Stoltz. They're both great. It also has Dan Akroyd in it. Not so great. He should only be in Ghostbuster movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Atlas Shurgged is a super lame book - I had a high school teacher who said it changed her life and I just didnt get it. I cant believe you havnt read Catcher in the Rye though...that will require a lot of blacked out words too :)

    ReplyDelete